The pioneer log house was purchased from Herman Doebler. Members had to get it moved to the showgrounds before the road restrictions went into effect. The ladies of the Association felt a pioneer cabin would be a lot of fun to restore and furnish with artifacts that went with this time in history. Members were asked to round up furnishings and it soon filled up. One item of special interest was an old cylinder Edison phonograph lent to the show by Cliff and Grace Comstock. This instrument had been in the family for almost 100 years and it still worked. There was an old washboard, copper boiler and galvanized wash-tub that hung on the wall of the utility room which was just the out-door wall of the cabin. Also, there was an old cradle-type wooden washing machine, a spinning wheel, a telephone with a crank, and a foot-pump organ in beautiful condition. For cooking, fancy blue Windsor woodstove with matching cooking utensils. On the wall hung a 45-70 caliber model 1873 Springfield rifle that was the first breech loader model made following the Civil War. In the center of the home, an old Swedish Bible from 1889 took its place of honor. Upstairs there are two bedrooms complete with feather mattresses covered with homemade quilts. This setting is complete with a "thunder mug" underneath the beds.
The roof has recently been reshingled with cedar shakes made right here on the show grounds, and a new concrete foundation is supporting it. It also has a roofed porch added to the front.
Back to Gallery or home